Songstresses from the Edge are singers, composers, & instrumentalists who are performing original art songs by themselves as well as premieres by leading New York composers. Spearheaded by cellist, composer and vocalist Jody Redhage, their next venture is this coming Saturday, Aug. 29 at 8:00 at the First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn.
Jody will be playing a solo set of new compositions she’s commissioned for voice, cello & electronics, including:
- Christian Carey- “Song” and “Otherwise” (words Jane Kenyon)
- Lainie Fefferman- “Slash Plus” for voice, cello, & clarinet
- Daniel Felsenfeld- “From Sleepless Nights” (words Elizabeth Hardwick)
- Missy Mazzoli- “A Thousand Tongues” (words Stephen Crane)
- Molly Thompson- “Rhapsody’ (words Cynthia Huntington)
Also on the program is a set of original duo compositions by Daisy Press & Jody (duos for voices, cello & electronics), sets by Molly Thompson and Kamala Sankaram, and a guest appearance by clarinetist Eileen Mack.
Saturday, Aug. 29, 2009
First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn
124 Henry Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
2/3 to Clark St. is the closest train
With performers Jody Redhage, Daisy Press, Molly Thompson, Kamala Sankaram & Eileen Mack
Music by Redhage, Press, Thompson, Sankaram, Christian Carey, Lainie Fefferman, Daniel Felsenfeld, & Missy Mazzoli.