Multiple-award winning Uruguayan film “THE CIRCLE” – EL CIRCULO will be shown at the MUSEO DEL BARRIO – CICLO NUEVO CINE on Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 6:30 pm. The museum is located at 1230 Fifth Avenue (at 104th Street) in New York. Admission is free
Wednesday is movie night in Latin America, and at El Museo. This session of Nuevo Cine focuses on former Tupamaro leader Dr. Engler, who was held hostage for thirteen years during the Uruguayan dictatorship. Today, a renowned Swedish citizen and scientist, he revisits the places of his painful past, painting an intimate and disturbing portrait of life in prison during a dictatorship. Directed by José Pedro Charlo and Aldo Garay, EL CIRCULO reflects the power of a person facing adversity. Co-Director of the film J. P. Charlo will be present at the screening to share some of his experiences making the movie.
This event is organized by the The Uruguayan Cultural Group of New York and El Museo del Barrio, with the support of the Ministry of Culture & Education in Uruguay.
Introduction: Gonzalo Casals, Director of Public Programas at El Museo del Barrio
Performance: Sabrina Lastman – voice, Oscar Vallejo – guitar/voice
J. P Charlo talks with the audience
EL CÍRCULO – THE CIRCLE
Documentary / Uruguay / 2008 / 92 min. / Morocha Films
Director: Aldo Garay, José Pedro Charlo
Actors: H. Engler, M. Rosencof, R. Sendic, E. Huidobro, J. Zabalza y J. Mujica
Playwright: José Pedro Charlo, Aldo Garay
Music: Daniel Yafalián.
– Audience Award for the best documentary at the Sydney Latin American Film Festival, Australia 2009
– Premio Zapata for the best camera at the Festival de la Memoria, Mexico 2009
– Honorable Mention at the Festival de Cine de Derechos Humanos – DerHumALC, Argentina 2009
– Biznaga de Plata for the best documentary at the Festival de Málaga, Spain 2009
– Best Film, best director, best screenplay at the Festival Internacional de Documentales Santiago Alvarez In Memoriam,
Santiago de Cuba, Cuba 2009
– Award of the FIPRESCI/The International Federation of Film Critics – Uruguay for the best documentary 2008 in the category
International plus awards for the best Uruguayan director, the best screenplay of an Uruguayan film and the best camera of an Uruguayan film
– TeleSur-winner at the Festival Internacional del Nuevo Cine Latinoamericano, Havanna, Cuba 2008
– Best film at the Festival del Cinema Latino Americano, Trieste, Italy 2008
– Best documentary, best documentary – long metrage, best director, best screenplay, best soundtrack at the festival Internacional de Cinema Bahía, Salvador-Bahía, Brazil 2008
– World premiere at the festival É Tudo Verdade – It’s All True, Sao Paulo, Brazil 2008